January 23, 2019
Optimal neurosurgical outcome is premised on a good knowledge and skill-base, so acquisition of new skillsets is paramount to be well-rounded, meaning observership or further training in certain pertinent areas like pediatric neurosurgery, neurotrauma is important. To actualize this, availability of essential operating room equipment for safe neurosurgery is invaluable.
- Operating Room Equipment: Operating microscope, endoscope, functional high-speed drills, bipolar electrocautery, intraoperative ultrasound, radiolucent operating bed, head support systems e.g Mayfield, are lacking
- Surgical Instruments: Microinstruments, transphenoidal instrument sets, Rhoton set, basic laminectomy set, microdiscectomy set, anterior cervical discectomy set, pediatric neurosurgery sets, ICP monitors and insertion sets, are abscent.
- Disposables: Dura substitutes, fibrin glue, gelfoam, neuropatties are difficult to source.
- Research trainings in the areas of essential and appropriate data collection, audit and outcome measurement will be useful. Collaborative research partnership will help with training.
- Training: from being well grounded in neurotrauma life-saving skills to handling pediatric neurosurgical challenges like hydrocephalus, skillsets have to be mastered, and new ones like neurocritical care and endoscopy learnt.
is open to:
relates to the following areas of expertise:
Endoscopy for hydrocephalus
Spinal dysraphism surgery
Short-term (1 visit or up to 1 year)