Helwan University Hospital Helwan - Cairo Cairo Egypt 11795 Egypt
Third-Level Hospital (Referral)
This is a teaching hospital
I love innovation and research in pediatric neurosurgery.
Summary of qualifications:
• Member of the International Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons (ISPN).
• Medical Doctorate (MD) of Neurosurgery, Kasr Al Ainy Medical School, Cairo University, Egypt, 2013
• Master degree, Cairo University, Egypt, 2009.
• M.B.B.C.H., Alexandria University, Egypt, 2001.
• Certified and registered Consultant Neurosurgeon by the Egyptian Medical Syndicate, Reg. No. 151946.
• Certified and registered Consultant Neurosurgeon by the Saudi Commission of Health Specialties, Profile No. 20173156.
• Grade B proficiency in the formal Occupational English Test (OET) for the medical profession. Candidate No.: 200122836. Test date: 12 Sep 2020. Venue No. SA001
- Peer and main reviewer in renowned neurosurgical journals.
Research interests and international publications:
* Atteya MME (2021). The STAR/HOP system: A newly proposed abbreviated descriptive clinical coding system for craniopharyngiomas. Accepted manuscript CNSY-D-21-00149 as a focus session (Innovations and New Technologies in Pediatric Neurosurgery).
• El Beltagy MA, Atteya MME. Benefits of endoscope-assisted microsurgery in the management of pediatric brain tumors. Neurosurg Focus. 2021;50(1):E7. doi:10.3171/2020.10.FOCUS20620
• Enayet AER, Atteya MME, Taha H, et al. Management of pediatric craniopharyngioma: 10-year experience from high-flow center. Childs Nerv Syst. 2021;37(2):391-401. doi:10.1007/s00381-020-04833-x
• Atteya MME. Frameless stereotaxy: It is all about precision. Childs Nerv Syst. 2020;36(1):179-187. doi:10.1007/s00381-019-04390-y
• Atteya MME, Raslan S, Elkallaf M, Soliman MS, AlQalla MA. A novel method for safe and accurate placement of the rocker pins of head immobilization devices utilizing a digital caliber phantom: technical note. Childs Nerv Syst. 2019;35(9):1599-1602. doi:10.1007/s00381-019-04216-x
• El Beltagy MA, Enayet AE, Atteya MME, et al. Management of pediatric CNS meningiomas: CCHE-57357 experience in 39 cases. Childs Nerv Syst. 2019;35(8):1323-1331. doi:10.1007/s00381-019-04156-6
• Atteya MME, Raslan S, Elkallaf M. Letter: Complications of Head Immobilization Devices in Children: Contact Mechanics, and Analysis of a Single Institutional Experience [published correction appears in Neurosurgery. 2019 Mar 1;84(3):815]. Neurosurgery. 2019;84(1):E95. doi:10.1093/neuros/nyy462
• El Beltagy MA, Atteya MM, El-Haddad A, et al. Surgical and clinical aspects of cerebellar pilomyxoid-spectrum astrocytomas in children. Childs Nerv Syst. 2014;30(6):1045-1053. doi:10.1007/s00381-014-2366-y
• El Beltagy MA, Atteya MM. The benefits of navigated intraoperative ultrasonography during resection of fourth ventricular tumors in children. Childs Nerv Syst. 2013;29(7):1079-1088. doi:10.1007/s00381-013-2103-y
• Mohamed El Beltagy and Mostafa Atteya. Management of brain tumors below 2 years of life: Experience of 115 cases. Abstract No. 175 accepted and presented in the 47th annual meeting of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN 2019) in Birmingham, UK on October 23rd, 2019, presentation number PP-161.
• Founding Board Member of the Egyptian Pediatric Neurosurgery (EPNS) Group of the Egyptian Society of Neurological Surgeons (ESNS), October 1st, 2016.
• Member of the Organizing Committee of the “Recent advances in pediatric neurosurgical oncology conference” organized by Children’s Cancer Hospital – Egypt (CCHE-57357) in collaboration with Kasr Al Ainy School of Medicine, World’s Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS) and the Egyptian Society of Neurological Surgeons (ESNS) February 2018.
• Mohamed A. El Beltagy, Mostafa M. E. Atteya. Management of craniopharyngiomas in pediatric age group: CCHE experience in 70 cases. FL-011 presented in the 43rd Annual Meeting of International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery, Izmir, Turkey, Oct 4-8, 2015. Childs Nerv Syst (2015) 31:1923 DOI: 10.1007/s00381-015-2811-6
• Mohamed A. El Beltagy, Mostafa M. E. Atteya. Management of supratentorial hemispheric tumors in pediatric age group: CCHE experience in 35 cases. PF-017 presented in the 43rd Annual Meeting of International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery, Izmir, Turkey, Oct 4-8, 2015. Childs Nerv Syst (2015) 31:1896 DOI: 10.1007/s00381-015-2811-6
• Mohamed El Beltagy, Mostafa M. Atteya. The surgical aspects of cerebellar mutism syndrome in the pediatric age group. Abstract was accepted and presented as e-poster No. 104 at the 41st annual meeting of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN) from September 29 to October 3, 2013 in Mainz, Germany Childs Nerv Syst (2013) 29:1689–1784
• Mohamed Ahmed El Beltagy, Mostafa Attia, Amal Refaat, Hala Taha, Madiha Awad, Mohamed Sa'ad Zaghloul, Amal Mosa'ab Abdelaziz. Different Strategies in management of Childhood Craniopharyngiomas -Experience of 114 cases. Abstract accepted and presented as E-Poster No. 042 in the 45th meeting of the International Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons (ISPN) 8-12 October 2017 in Denever, USA. Childs Nerv Syst (2017) 33:1785–1853 DOI 10.1007/s00381-017-3557-0
• Faten Mohamed Elnozhe, Maha M. Mokhtar, Mina N Halim, Mostafa Atteya. Effect of treadmill-walking training with Deep Breathing Exercises on pulmonary functions in Patients with Parkinson’s disease. J Adv Pharm Edu Res 2019; 9 (3):41-45. E-ISSN: 2249-3379
• Mokhtar MM, Atteya M, Rawash M. Virtual reality Xbox 360 Kinect training for stroke patients with hemiplegia. Bioscience Research, 2019 16(1):672-676.
• Mokhtar MM, El Semary MM, Hamoda IM, El Sherbini A, Atteya M. Unilateral versus Bilateral Virtual Reality XBOX 360 Training on Rehabilitation of Stroke Patients. IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science (IOSR-JNHS), vol. 8, no.01 , 2019, pp. 06-11.www.iosrjournals.org
• Nominated by the Faculty of Medicine of Helwan University for “Abdel Hamid Shoman Prize” for Arab Researchers in 2017.
• Role of stereotactic-guided procedures in pediatric brain tumors. Oral presentation at the Fourth Annual International Conference of Neurosurgery Department Kasr Al Ainy School of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt. February 9-10th, 2017.
• Mohamed El Beltagy, Mostafa M. E. Atteya, Madiha Awad, Hala Taha, Amal Refaat, Amal Mosa'ab Abdelaziz. Pediatric Choroid Plexus Tumors – CCHE 57357 experience. Abstract accepted and presented as E-Poster No. 145 in the 44th meeting of the International Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons (ISPN) October 24th, 2016 in Kobe, Japan.
• Member of the Organizing Committee of the First Scientific Meeting of the Egyptian Pediatric Neurosurgery (EPNS) Group of the Egyptian Society of Neurological Surgeons (ESNS), October 1st, 2016.
• Member of the Organizing Committee of the “Recent advances in pediatric neurosurgical oncology conference” organized by Children’s Cancer Hospital – Egypt (CCHE-57357) in collaboration with Kasr Al Ainy School of Medicine, World’s Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS) and the Egyptian Society of Neurological Surgeons (ESNS) February 25-27th, 2016.
• Role of stereotactic-guided procedures in pediatric brain tumors. Oral presentation in the “Recent advances in pediatric neurosurgical oncology conference” organized by Children’s Cancer Hospital – Egypt (CCHE-57357), February 25-27th, 2016.
• Mohamed El Beltagy, Alaa El-Haddad, Mohamed Kamal, Iman Zaki, Hala Taha, Mostafa Atteya, Shehabeldin Elzoheiry: Cerebellar pilocytic, intermediate pilomyxoid and pilomyxoid astrocytomas: a study of operative findings, imaging features and clinical course. Childs Nerv Syst (2012) 28:1589–1669.
o The abstract was accepted and was orally presented in the 40th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN), Sydney, Australia, September 9-13, 2012. http://www.ispneurosurgery.org/assets/500/ISPN_Brochure_Sydney_2012.pdf
• Mohamed El-Beltagy and Mostafa Atteya: The benefits of navigated intraoperative ultrasonography during resection of posterior fossa tumors in children. Neuro Oncol (2012) 14 (suppl 1): i106-i110. Doi: 10.1093/neuonc/nos094.
o The abstract was accepted and was orally presented in the 15th International Symposium on Pediatric Neuro-Oncology, June 24-27, 2012, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
• Yahya A, Atteya MM, El Sayed A. Effect of platelet-rich plasma on traumatic dorsal spinal cord injuries in experimental animals. Research project No. 2/13, 29/04/2014 Research Department, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University.
• El Shahawy AAG, Atteya MME. Treatment of brain tumors by magnetic resonance imaging hyperthermia through surgically implanted magnetic nanoparticles. A research project between Faculty of Medicine – Helwan University and Faculty of postgraduate studies - Beni Suif University.
• Interested in research for new treatment options for pediatric brain tumors.
Academic titles, experience, and interests:
• Founder of the strategic research plan for the surgical departments of the Faculty of Medicine, Helwan University 2015-2016.
• Founder of the logbook for future neurosurgical residency 2017.
• Teaching Neuroscience Module for the first- and second-year medical students of the Faculty of Medicine, Helwan University 2017-2018.
• Moderating Problem-based learning sessions for the first- and second-year medical students of the Faculty of Medicine, Helwan University 2017-2018.
• Teaching congenital CNS anomalies to nursing students in the Faculty of Nursing, Helwan University, 2015-2016.
• Former member of the medical education unit of the Faulty of Medicine of Helwan University which established the new clinically integrated medical student curriculums in 2017-2018.
• Personal major contribution to the construction of the “Neuroscience Module #201” as a part of the clinically integrated curriculum for the medical students of the second year as a member of the medical education unit and and clinical coordinator in the Faculty of Medicine of Helwan University.
• Former head of the Emergency Department in Badr University Hospital (the official University Hospital of the Faculty of Medicine, Helwan University) 2017.
• Former head of internal audit unit of the Quality Department in the Faculty of Medicine of Helwan University.
• Former supervisor of the Department of Neurosurgery in the Faculty of Medicine of Helwan University.
• Experience in designing, scheming, and delivering clinically integrated medical student lectures.
• Experience in designing, scheming, and coordinating Problem-based Learning (PBL).
• Capable of designing scientific research plans, data collection and analysis, and preparation of research papers and journal articles.
• Published many international original articles, presentations, and abstracts.
• Invented two novel neurosurgical instruments.
• Invented and published a new operative technique in neurosurgery in 2019.
Surgical skills and expertise:
• Managing different neurosurgical emergencies; this includes head trauma and its broad discipline (such as: extradural hematomas, subdural hematomas, intracerebral hematomas, skull fractures and increased intracranial pressure).
• Capable of conducting clinical rounds and basic patient history taking and patient examination skills.
• Performing different cranial and spinal surgical approaches disorders (such as spinal trauma and fractures, lumbar and cervical disc disease, etc.).
• Capable of diagnosing and treating different neurosurgical disorders.
• Managing pediatric neurosurgical disorders (such as management of hydrocephalus by shunt surgery or endoscopic surgery and brain and spinal cord tumors)
• Subspecialty expertise in pediatric neurosurgical oncology for more than10 years; from 01/06/2008 to 15/11/2018.
• Performing different procedures for pediatric CNS tumor including tumor excision, stereotactic biopsy, endoscope-assisted microsurgical techniques, and different endoscopic and shunting interventions for management of tumoral hydrocephalus.
• Familiar with operating and utilization of intra-operative MRI during surgery of pediatric brain tumors.
• Trained on BrainLab and Stealth neuronavigation systems and the related image-guided procedures and applications.
• Trained on performing frameless stereotactic-guided procedures (Varioguide) including biopsies and guided insertion of ventricular catheters and Ommaya reservoir system.
• Trained on “Intra-Operative Ultrasonography (IOUS)” technology and the related techniques of image fusion, brain shift calculation and stepwise tumor resection control. This includes IOUS image-guided aspiration of brain cysts, abscess, lesion localization and controlled tumor resection including spinal tumors. A related publication based on this technology was published by me in 2013 in “the child’s nervous system journal” (The official journal of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN)).
• Trained on conducting, using, and interpreting the intra-operative neuro-physiological monitoring tools (motor-sensory-cranial nerves).
• Familiar with the recent trends in management in pediatric neuro-oncology.
• Conducting lectures for nurses on care of the neurosurgical patient in general and post-operative neurosurgical ICU care in particular (giving and presenting these lectures in Arabic and English).
• Capable of dealing with medical and imaging IT and data documentation and retrieval systems; namely Cerner, Telepax, Philips Enterprise systems.
Individual independent practitioner
- Trained paediatric neurosurgeon
Professional affiliations / memberships
Other membership organisations
Egyptian Group of Pediatric Neurosurgery (Founding member). Egyptian Society of Neuorological Surgeons
Current and past partnerships
Has current partners or past partnership experience in these countries
I have a 10-year hands-on experience in Children's Cancer Hospital Egypt (CCHE-57357) for 10 years from 2008 till 2018 (including 5 years of consultancy in the hospital 2013-2018). This hospital is one of the largest pediatric cancer hospitals worldwide and is a tertiary referral center to Egypt, Africa, and different Middle East countries.
- Spinal dysraphism
- Skull Base
- Neuroendoscope Rigid
- Frameless navigation
- Spinal instrumentation